PRODUCED IN PARTNERSHIP WITH GOOD AND VISIT RUAPEHU.
There is a place, where wonders flow – from above, from below, to where heaven and earth meet. A land of mesmerising mountain peaks, bush-clad rivers and ancient forests. This is your invitation to discover the beating heart of the Central North Island, this is Ruapehu rising.
Return to Ruapehu
There’s still time to enjoy Mt Ruapehu to the fullest with the ski season scheduled to remain open until the end of October.
Longer days and better weather also mean you can take on the incredible network of one-day or multi-day mountain bike trails in Ruapehu.
Hike to the highest waterfalls in Tongariro National Park or soar to new heights on the Sky Waka – NZ’s longest gondola ride as you journey 1.8 km over a spectacular volcanic landscape.
The full range of on-water experiences on the Whanganui River also relaunches during the spring season with cultural guided tours, canoeing, and kayaking back on offer.
Top 10 uniquely Ruapehu experiences
- Two NZ Great Walks with the Tongariro Northern Circuit on land and the Whanganui Journey on water
- Two national parks side by side, Whanganui National Park as well as the UNESCO Dual World Heritage Site of Tongariro National Park
- NZ’s largest ski area at Mt Ruapehu
- NZ’s highest dining experience at Knoll Ridge Chalet
- Tongariro Alpine Crossing – one of the best one-day hikes in the world
- NZ’s largest alpaca farm at Nevalea Alpacas with more than 1,000 alpacas
- The historic National Army Museum
- NZ’s longest gondola ride on the Sky Waka
- Ohakune – New Zealand’s carrot capital
- Mountains to Sea Ngā Ara Tūhono Cycle Trails
Flourishing food scene
From world-famous chocolate eclairs, giant carrot inspired cocktails, an award-winning hamburgeria, and conservation focused dining at the top of the world, one taste of Ruapehu and you’ll be coming back for more.
Tucked away in cosy mountain towns and alpine villages, you’ll find fantastic spots for coffee, wining, dining and High Tea fit for kings and queens.
Luxury riverside glamping, an award-winning eco cottage, adventure lodges, boutique farm stays, the highest hotel in NZ and iconic alpine chateaus. Ruapehu has a wonderful mix of accommodation options infused with wow factor and warm hospitality to make your stay an unforgettable one.
A fresh look at wellness
Ruapehu is the perfect destination to relax, unwind and redefine how you do wellness.
Far from the crowds and as close to nature as you can get, immerse yourself here in a slower pace of being, and a more mindful way of travel.
Explore Forgotten World gardens, stargaze from the comforts of your accommodation or soak up the stunning mountain views from an outdoor hot tub all year-round.
Make your way to Ruapehu
Located halfway between Auckland and Wellington, Ruapehu is easy to access by road, air, or rail. Take State Highway One or State Highway Four on a roadie or by InterCity bus, fly into a neighbouring regional airport, or arrive by scenic rail journey on the Northern Explorer.
Discover everything under the sun in Ruapehu’s Greater Outdoors here.