From the heart and soul of bourbon country to Aotearoa enters Basil Hayden – a Kentucky distilled, straight-shooting bourbon whiskey from Beam Suntory New Zealand.
Up there with the daddy of all whiskies (aka scotch), small-batch bourbons are here to broaden the horizon of the discerning whiskey drinker and revitalize the category here in New Zealand.
With luxury bourbon growing by 25 per cent in the last year, the drop appeals to both new and long-term fans.
Whether a scotch devotee or a novice to the drop, add it to your drinks cart to imbibe neat, on the rocks or in a classic or new-age bourbon cocktail.
- 1 1/2-parts Basil Hayden’s bourbon whiskey
- 1-part Bols Triple Sec liqueur
- ½-part lemon juice
- 1 bar spoon of Anathoth Farm Apricot Jam
- Lemon twist (for garnish)
- Combine all ingredients in a cocktail shaker with ice
- Shake hard until apricot jam is fully blended
- Strain into a coupe glass and garnish with lemon twist
- 2-parts Basil Hayden’s bourbon whiskey
- 1-part lime juice
- ½-part fresh ginger
- 1/3-part simple syrup
- 1 sprig of rosemary (for garnish)
- Candied ginger (for garnish)
- Add fresh ginger in a cocktail shaker and muffle until fine
- Add all remaining ingrediants and ice to the cocktail shaker
- Shake and strain into a rocks glass filled with ice
- Garnish with a rosemary sprig and a piece of candied ginger on the rim
Hawkes Bay Highball
- 45ml Basil Hayden’s bourbon whiskey
- 15ml freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 7.5ml sugar syrup
- 120ml Schweppes soda water
- Lemon peel (for garnish)
- Fill a tall glass with ice
- Add Basil Hayden’s, lemon juice and sugar syrup, gently stirring to combine
- Top off with soda water and garnish with a lemon peel
Basil Hayden is available at selected liquor stores nationwide.