Recipe created by Liz Glazebrook @kitchenoftreats
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp mixed spice
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 360g golden syrup
- 225g butter, roughly diced
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 250ml milk
- 50g crystallised ginger, roughly chopped
- 125g Whittaker’s Blondie chocolate
- Preheat oven to 150c fan bake.
- Grease and line the base of an 11x30cm loaf tin (or alternatively a 23cm square tin).
- In a large bowl sift flour, brown sugar, baking soda, baking powder, ground ginger, mixed spice, nutmeg and cinnamon.
- In a small saucepan melt golden syrup with butter.
- To the dry ingredients add the golden syrup mixture followed by lighty beaten eggs and milk. Combine ingredients well using a whisk (note this is a very wet mix). Pour into prepared tin and sprinkle crystallised ginger on top.
- Cook in loaf tin for 1 hour and 10 minutes (or in the square tin for 45 minutes) or until mental cake skewer comes out clean. When cooked leave in tin to cool for 30 minutes or more before turning out and leaving to cool completely.
- Once loaf has cooled, melt Whittaker’s Blondie in the microwave (in short increments to avoid burning). Mix until smooth and drizzle over the ginger loaf.