Promising brilliant dishes, slick service and a relaxed atmosphere. The team at Ampersand Eatery are driven to create an experience for each of their guests using the beauty of seasonal produce and products from New Zealand. Their seasonal menus feature dishes that are smart and exciting but also welcoming, honest and served by an attentive team. The drinks list is sharp and ever changing, offering a list of interesting producers and varieties to highlight your meal with a match that celebrates the flavours. Ampersand welcomes you to come and enjoy at any time of the day; bringing your family and friends to relax and replenish.
The recipe below was created by Ampersand co-owner Mikey Newlands, especially for Good Magazine.
- 500g Green asparagus
- A good chunk of old sourdough or similar
- Olive oil
- Salt & Pepper
- 1 sprig of Rosemary
- 4 egg yolks
- 100mL chicken or vegetables stock
- 50 mL white wine
- 100g of finely grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
- If you like, peel your asparagus, I generally do if its thicker than my pinky finger. Trim the woody ends.
- Rip the bread into smallish chunks or pulse in the food processor, to a rough crumb.
- Toss in olive oil and the rosemary, bake in a moderate oven to 10-15 minutes, until golden brown.
- In a pot, bring the wine to the boil and reduce slightly. Add the chicken stock and bring back to the boil.
- In a blender, add the stock/wine mix. With the blender running add the egg yolks, salt and pepper. Blend on high for 3-4 mins.
- Add the parmesan and blend till smooth, taste and adjust the seasoning.
- Boil the asparagus in boiling water with plenty of salt. 3 mins should do for medium spears.
- Arrange the asparagus on warm plates. Dress with plenty of sauce and finish with the crumbs, Serve immediately with a lemon wedge if desired.