The national museum of New Zealand, Te Papa, has been named one of the top 25 museums in the world according to TripAdvisor.
TripAdvisor, one of the world’s leading travel sites, announced reviewers’ picks for the top museums as part of its annual Travelers’ Choice Awards this week.
Te Papa, New Zealand’s national museum in Wellington is placed 19th on the list, which also includes The Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York, Musee d’Orsay in Paris, the State Hermitage Museum and Winter Palace in St. Petersburg and London’s V&A – Victoria and Albert Museum.
Te Papa Chief Executive Geraint Martin says: “This list puts us in very fine company globally and it’s a great acknowledgement. Our visitors’ experience is one of our greatest motivators so this vote from the global community is fantastic feedback.”
“Te Papa is undertaking an overall exhibition renewal – this is an exciting reimaging of Te Papa’s permanent exhibition spaces. The spectacular new Art Gallery, opens end of February next year to tie-in with Te Papa’s 20 year birthday anniversary. I’m looking forward to seeing where we sit on the list in several years’ time,” he says.
This year’s accolade is Te Papa’s highest placement, with the museum being featured in the top 25 list for the last four years.
The top ten museums in the world:
- The Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York City
- The National WWII Museum, New Orleans, Louisiana
- Musee d’Orsay, Paris, France
- The Art Institute of Chicago
- State Hermitage Museum and Winter Palace, St. Petersburg, Russia
- The National 9/11 Memorial & Museum, New York City
- National Museum of Anthropology (Museo Nacional de Antropologia) Mexico City
- Acropolis Museum, Athens, Greece
- Prado National Museum, Madrid, Spain
- V&A – Victoria and Albert Museum, London
For the complete list, visit tripadvisor.com/TravelersChoice-Museums