PRODUCED IN PARTNERSHIP WITH GOOD X SCARECROW
Aotearoa’s producers and artisans rise to the supply challenge this festive season.
Good giving is more than ever about choosing locally made this holiday season.
The team at Scarecrow Kitchen and Grocer have heard the chatter about supply-chain challenges causing goods shortages, but they’re not fazed.
As founder Alison Dyson says, we should make this an opportunity rather than another disappointment after a gruelling year.
Aotearoa is bursting with unique products, ingenious creators and expert growers that make a constantly expanding inventory of thoughtful and unusual gifts.
Scarecrow’s team has handpicked a list of homegrown products (and one that came by sea) to use as gift inspo for the season’s festivities or inspire a spontaneous gesture for someone you love (including yourself!).
- The Flower Press comes top as a summertime gift for young and old: preserve special blooms, wildflowers and edible flowers too (ideal for decorating home baking!).
- That brings us to baking. Try the Hill Street Baking Kits for Kids or build your own kit around the Secret Kiwi Kitchen mixes. For aspiring pâtissiers of all ages, they provide the tools and steps to create scrumptious treats to accompany their newly pressed petals.
- The delightful gardeners’ book Petal Power (from new local publishing company Koa Press) is just the thing for budding garden enthusiasts, new homeowners and nature lovers.
- Complete a floral gift bundle with a hand trowel and fork set made to last a lifetime and with seeds from Hydrangea Ranger or Little Sun Seeds – a springboard to get into growing organic heirloom herbs, vegetables and flowers.
- For those for whom self-care doesn’t rhyme with plant-parenting, organic face and body ranges from Aotea, Blue Earth and Earthbound offer earth-friendly and delicious moments of relaxation and indulgence – for treating a loved one, or yourself!
- Scarecrow’s shelves stock a range of mindfully made herbal infusions, teas and tonics, massage oils and balms to enhance those much-needed moments of mindfulness.
- Lay your summer table with organic cotton and linen tablewares from designers Ali Davies, Wild Grey Fox, Tanya Wolfkamp and others.
- With our oenologists recognised as being among the best in the world, Aotearoa is a privileged spot to share a bottle for the holidays. What could be better than a Kiwi Methode Traditionnelle (or the fresh, crisp but dry fizz of Abel Cider)? Scarecrow’s cellar hosts a collection of small-production, organic and natural winemakers from around the country.
- Pair some bottles of local wines with cheese, olive oil, and other local delicacies from our artisan food producers to delight any epicurean friend.
- For eco-conscious but stylish delivery, package your gift in pretty woven bags made by the Penan people of Borneo. Women from the semi-nomadic Penan villages use traditional techniques to weave these colourful, robust totes from the plastic used to secure shipping containers. On top of being recyclable, their durable material makes them ideal for hauling possessions to and from the park, work, school and the beach.