In celebration of Matariki, My Food Bag has developed a collection of special Matariki recipes to help New Zealanders cook and gather together.
The curated Matariki menu features unique Kiwi recipes celebrating the flavours of Aotearoa through local and seasonal produce.
The menu features recipes such as Crispy Chicken Strips with Horopito Tartare & Moemoe Potatoes as part of the My Choice bag, Kiwi Lemon & Fennel Roasted Porchetta with Kūmara & Jus in the My Choice Gourmet offering and Premium Kiwi Lamb Roast with Buttered Greens & Gravy from the Bargain Box.
My Food Bag has partnered with well-known television and radio host, Stacey Morrison, to create and test the recipes, including her Chicken Hāngī Parcels.
“Matariki is all about comfort kai winter food! A few favourites are Hāngi parcels – which is where the recipe for My Food Bag came from,” says Morrison.
It’s a time for celebration and rejuvenation of our practices, says Morrison, as well as the chance for us to celebrate and embrace our seasons and enjoy seasonal kai.
“It feels really special that Matariki is a public holiday now, thanks to the work of a lot of people. It’s unique to us here in Aotearoa. Where people would previously do a mid-winter Christmas, this resonates on a much deeper level.”
The menu is available for a limited time inside the My Food Bag My Choice Bag and Bargain Box.
Ultimate Kiwi Lamb Pizza Recipe
- 400g kumara thinly sliced
- 1 drizzle of oil
- 150g roasted capsicum, thinly sliced
- 125g Colby cheese, grated
- 60g tomato paste
- 4 Tbsp tomato sauce
- 1 pack pizza bases
- 2 Tbsp mini pesto
- 100g yoghurt
- 100g baby spinach
- 1 drizzle of olive oil
- 2 tsp red wine vinegar
- 400g lamb rump steak
- 1 drizzle of oil
- Before you start: Preheat oven to 220°C (or 200°C fan bake). Preheat two oven trays.
- Prep & cook kumara: Thinly slice kumara, toss with oil on a lined oven tray and spread in a single layer. Season with salt and pepper and roast for 12-15 minutes, until just tender. Turn once during cooking.
- Prep yoghurt: In a small bowl, combine mint pesto and yoghurt.
- Prep salad: In medium bowl, toss spinach with olive oil and vinegar. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Prep pizzas: Thinly slice capsicum and cheese. Combine tomato paste and tomato sauce together, divide mix between pizza bases and spread evenly. Top with cooked kumara, capsicum and cheese. Season with salt and pepper.
- Cook pizzas: Transfer 2 pizzas to each preheated tray and cook for 12-14 minutes, until bases are crisp and golden around the edges. Swap trays halfway through cook time to ensure even cooking.
- Meanwhile, prep & cook lamb: Pat lamb dry and season with salt and pepper. Heat oil in a large frypan on medium-high heat. Cook lamb for 4-5 minutes each side for medium (depending on thickness), or until cooked to your liking. Rest, covered.
- Finish pizzas: Thinly sliced lamb and evenly distribute on pizzas. Top with half the spinach and dollop over yoghurt. Cut pizza into slices.
- Serve: Pizza with remaining spinach on the side.